What is Optometry?
What is an Optometrist? The Canadian Association of Optometrists (CAO) defines an optometrist as “an independent primary health care provider who specializes in the examination, diagnosis, treatment, management and prevention of disease and disorders of the visual system, the eye and associated structures as well as the diagnosis of ocular manifestations of systemic conditions”
As primary eye care providers, an optometrist’s main responsibilities are:
- The examination of the human eye by any method (other than surgery), to diagnose, treat, and/or refer for treatment any abnormal condition of the eye, in cooperation with physicians and other health professionals.
- The employment of instruments, procedures or agents to measure, examine or diagnose visual defects or abnormal conditions of the eye.
- The prescribing, fitting and application of glasses, contact lenses or other devices to correct, relieve or treat the eye.
- The prescription, supervision and management of therapy for the improvement/monitoring of visual health.
- The referral of patients to other health practitioners as required.
Prince Edward Island Association of Optometrist’s Role in Optometry
The Prince Edward Island Association of Optometrists was incorporated by chapter 13 of the Acts of the Legislature in 1922 and at that time was known as the Prince Edward Island Optometrical Association.
According to the Prince Edward Island Optometry Act, the objects of the Prince Edward Island Association of Optometrists are to:
- promote the professional interests of members;
- improve the proficiency of optometrists in all matters of professional practice, particularly through the dissemination of information and the encouragement of continuing education;
- foster relations with associations of optometrists in other provinces and with other professional bodies. 1981, c.25, s.3.
We will continue to strive to achieve these objectives in both the interest of the public and our members.
The PEI Association of Optometrists’ Executive
President: Dr. Lester Jinks
Vice-President: Dr. Jayne Toombs
Secretary: Dr. Bonnie Gallant
Treasurer: Dr. Joe E. Hickey
CAO Representative: Dr. Angela Arsenault